Sunday, May 16, 2021

Show #194

Lost in the Tracks
Show #194

Broadcast on KTAL-LP
May 16, 2021
4 PM - 6 PM





Hour One

The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
Shoes - Too Late
Doris Troy - Just One Look

Coach Party - Really OK on My Own
The Blips - One and Done
The Chelsea Curve - All In Time
Ashley Monroe - Til It Breaks
Counting Crows - Elevator Boots
The Flatlanders - Sittin' on Top of the World

Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In the Basement
Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Devil With The Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly
Fleetwood Mac - Walk a Thin Line
The Cars - Tonight She Comes
Jenny Lewis - The New You

Odetta Hartman - Cowboy Song
Maren Morris - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters


Hour Two

Elton John - Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
Marti Jones - I Don't Want Him (Anymore)
Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running
The City - Snow Queen

Hanni El Khatib - Paralyzed
Beck - Earthquake Weather
Phoebe Bridgers - Kyoto (Copycat Killer Version)
Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex

Gertch's Folly - Stillwater
The O'Jays - Use To Be My Girl
Natalie Prass - Short Court Style
Hop On Pop - This Ain't No Race
Dinah Washington - Trouble in Mind
Jackson Browne - For a Dancer


Show Notes

Todd Leiter-Weintraub wrote a superb review of The City's only album which led me to include one of its songs on this week's show. He's also the guy responsible for Hop On Pop, which I played near the end of the show.

I discovered the Marti Jones song from DJ Calc's show. Also this week, I played several other songs he's played over the past couple of months that I already knew (Shoes, Fleetwood Mac, Arcade Fire) but never gotten around to playing before.

Finally I want to recommend two KTAL shows you can find on Mixcloud - I mentioned the Cosmic Troubadours on the show for reminding me about Gertch's Folly, a local Americana duo that made on EP and then went their separate ways. They have a unique show that's a blend of rootsy music and their conversations are very informative and entertaining. 

Also I was *this close* to putting a song I heard on Prog Rock Nation but I dropped it at the last second since I already had a really long song and another fairly long song. Julie Sanchez, the host, knows a lot about all kinds of music and, though her show is focused on prog, there's a lot of diversity in the type of songs she plays, musically speaking.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Dean,
    It's Todd from Hop On Pop. Thanks so much for spinning "The Ain't No Race"! I really appreciate the airtime and exposure. Also, I'm glad that you enjoyed the review of The City.
    You're good people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Todd. Yes, I've heard of that The City album but never took the time to search it out, much less listen to. Your review gave me the impetus to fix that oversight. I was happy to include a song from one of under-appreciated albums and less known chapters of Carole King's musical life.

      Plus "This Ain't No Race" is a great song! I was proud to play it.

      Delete