Sunday, November 12, 2023

Show #257

Lost in the Tracks
Show #257

Broadcast on KTAL-LP
November 12, 2023
4 PM - 5 PM



Sixpence None the Richer - There She Goes
Tonio K. - Not Fade Away
Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People

Courtney Barnett - Different Now (feat. Chastity Belt)
Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real - Sticks and Stones
The Premiers - Farmer John
The Clash - I Fought the Law
Neko Case - Calling Cards
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle with You
Guadalcanal Diary - Watusi Rodeo
Patty Griffin - No Bad News

Stephen Sanchez - Caught In A Blue
JOSEPH - SOS (Overboard)
Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band
The Milk Carton Kids - Honey, Honey
Aretha Franklin - Day Dreaming
Prince - Rocknroll Loveaffair
Joni Mitchell - See You Sometime (Early Version with Bass and Drums)


Show Notes

As should become obvious with this entry, I don't plan out my show with the Show Notes in mind. Otherwise, I would make sure my selections for each show properly distributed my gratitude to all those whose work I read and hear.

Part of the problem is that there's no sure formula for what I'm going to include in a show and what gets left out. I think the final criteria is I have to hear some magic in it, some spark, something that sets off an emotional reaction. Context matters as well. Sometimes I throw some great songs together and they work together and their power grows, other times it just doesn't feel right.

With that long explanation out of the way ...

This week, the "There She Goes" and "Not Fade Away" covers both were spotlighted by Steve Simels in his Power Pop blog.

"Different Now" and "Sticks and Stones" are both songs Iman Lababedi has praised on Rock NYC.

"Rocknroll Loveaffair" is another Ben pick from the 50 Years of Music podcast, this one from the Minneapolis episode.

While documenting this week's playlist, I discovered the "Farmer John" is this week's show is a re-recording. My policy is to avoid those in most cases, but this one snuck by. It sounded authentic to me!

5 comments:

  1. Hello there fellow radio DJ! Wanted to stop on by and tell ya the airwaves were truly less magnificent without your show and that I am very happy that Lost in the Tracks is back! All the best Ryan D - The Music Savage Show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RyanD. It's been fun making show again - and all the people that listen and leave positive comments like yourself make it that much more rewarding. Hope all is well in Boston.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Dean. Hope you had a good holiday. It was cool to hear the original version of "Farmer John," as I first discovered it on Neil Young's Ragged Glory album. Hadn't heard that Prince tune, as I lost track of his new music sometime in the 90s; enjoyed it. Liked hearing Fruit Bats - have you spent any time with their release from this year? Great show as always - look forward to the next episode coming around in my Mixcloud queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin. I appreciate you listening and it's nice to get feedback so I appreciate you commenting.

      My Christmas was quiet but nice. I was getting over a cold, so I've been taking it easy the past week or so. I hope your holidays went smoothly. I know they're a welcome break from teaching.

      I also heard "Famer John" on that Neil Young and inspired me to track down the original. I think we also dropped out of Prince's work at about the same time though I've found a few of his later work I've liked a lot. His songwriting seemed to be getting sharper again in the 2010s but I would like to read an in-depth critical look of his music in those years as I suspect there's some hidden gems there. Except for a song or two, I haven't heard the new Fruit Bats album yet. Have you? Did you like it?

      Delete
    2. I do like the new Fruit Bats. They can always be counted on for a good album, at the very least.

      Maybe 2024 is when I got back and investigate some of Prince's later period work.

      I don't go back to school until Jan. 8, which is very nice. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete